Basic Beach Volleyball Rules
Rule differences between beach and indoor
Beach volleyball is fundamentally similar to indoor volleyball: a team scores points by grounding the ball on the opponents’ court, or when the opposing team commits a fault (error or illegal action); consecutive contacts must be made by different players.
The major differences between beach and indoor volleyball are:
● Playing surface – sand rather than hard court.
● The dimensions of the court are 16 by 8 meters, compared to 18 by 9 meters in the indoor game.
● The beach court has no “attack line”, unlike the indoor court, which has such a line 3 meters from the net.
● Team size – two rather than six, with no substitutions allowed.
● Scoring system – best of 3 sets played to 21 (15 for a deciding set) rather than best of 5 to 25.
● Overhand touches and tips – open-hand dinks are illegal.
● A block at the net counts as one of the three allowed touches in the beach game, but not in the indoor game.
● Open-hand setting standards are different in the beach game –double hitting is called tighter but lifts are slightly more lenient.
● Coaching during matches is not allowed.
● There are no rotation errors on the beach – players may switch sides at will.
● It is legal to cross under the net in beach volleyball as long as it does not interfere with opponents’ play.
● Teams switch ends of the court every seven points, rather than between sets.
● There is no Libero in beach like there is in indoor.
BVB/21 General Questionnaire [2013-07]
BVB/22 Host TV Broadcaster Letter of Intent [2013-07]
BVB/23 Local Authorities Letter of Support [2013-07]
BVB/04b FIVB Recognised International BVB Events [2013-05]
Continental Tour Homologation [2014-03]
Zonal Tour/ Events Homologation [2014-03]
National Tour Homologation [2014-03]
Athletes, Coaches and Physiotherapists Forms
BVB/01 2013-2014 NF Athlete’s Commitment [2013-01]
BVB/02 Wild Card Request [2014-03]
BVB/03 Withdrawal Request [2014-03]
BVB/10 Annual Health Certificate [2013-01]
BVB/31 Athletes’ Travel Schedule [2014-03]
BVB/31b Delegation’s Travel Schedule [2014-03]
Technical Competition Forms
BVB/05 Organizational Chart [2014-03]
BVB/06 Event’s regulations for Open [2014-04]
BVB/06 Event’s regulations for World Tour Grand Slam [2014-04]
BVB/08 Sanctions for Players [2014-03]
BVB/12 Yearly Inspection Visit Report [2013-05]
BVB/13 Technical Supervisor Report [2013-05]
BVB/18 Training Sessions Sign-Up Sheet [2013-04]
BVB/19 Technical Checklist [2013-05]
BVB/28 Prize Money Payment Receipt [2013-04]
BVB/29 Stadium and Facilities Homologation Checklist [2014-05]
BVB/30 Court Equipment Checklist [2013-07]
BVB/32 List of Awarders [2013-04]
BVB/06b FIVB International Event’s Regulations [2013-07]
ABV/01 Application to Host an AVC Beach Volleyball Event [2009-09]
ABV/02 General Questionnaire [2009-09]
AVB/03 Local Authorities (Letter of Support) [2009-09]
AVB/04 Single Event Entry Form [2009-09]
AVB/04 Player’s Agreement [2009-09]
AVB/05 Player’s Registration [2009-09]
AVB/06 Agreement to the Participation [2009-09]
AVB/07 Health Certificate [2009-09]
Continental Beach Volleyball Cup:
BVBCP/01 Application Form for NFs [2010-04]
BVBWC/03 Final Event Report [2010-04]
FIVB Beach Volleyball World Cup – AVC Continental Sub Zonal Phase:
BVBCP/01 Hosting Terms & Conditions [2010-04]
BVB/14 Programming Intentions [2014-03]
BVB/15 TV Camera position layout [2014-03]
BVB/16 Broadcast Report [2014-03]
BVB/07 Photographer’s Agreement [2014-04]
BVB/20 Media Report [2014-04]
BVB/37 Media Facilities Checklist [2014-04]
BVB/50 Media Operations Delegate Report [2014-04]
BVB/11 Scoresheet [2014-03]
BVB/11 Scoresheet for data electronic input [2014-03]
BVB/24 Referee Delegate Report [2014-03]
BVB/25 Referee Delegate Report [2014-03]
BVB/26 Daily Referee Performance Summary Sheet [2014-03]
BVB/27 Personal data for Officials [2013-03]
BVB/33 Referee Delegate’s Protest Protocol Report [2014-03]
BVB/38 Referee Evaluation Formula [2014-03]
BVB/41 Referee Performance Supplemental Report [2014-03]
BVB/42 Alcohol Test Control Sheet [2014-03]
BVB/43 Referee Evaluation Form [2014-03]
BVB/44 Heat Stress Daily Monitoring Form [2014-03]
BVB/45 Heat Stress Monitoring Results [2014-03]
BVB/46 Mikasa Evaluation Sheet for VLS300 [2014-03]
BVB/47 Mikasa VLS300 Checklist_1st Inspection [2014-03]
BVB/48 Casebook Case Collection [2014-03]
BVB/49 Medical Injury TO & Injury Forfeit [2014-03]
BVB/52 Court Inspection Checklist [2014-03]
BVB/53 RM Scoresheet delivery protocol [2014-03]
AVC-O-2 BIS [2016-10]