Basic Beach Volleyball Rules
Rule differences between beach and indoor
Beach volleyball is fundamentally similar to indoor volleyball: a team scores points by grounding the ball on the opponents’ court, or when the opposing team commits a fault (error or illegal action); consecutive contacts must be made by different players.
The major differences between beach and indoor volleyball are:
● Playing surface – sand rather than hard court.
● The dimensions of the court are 16 by 8 meters, compared to 18 by 9 meters in the indoor game.
● The beach court has no “attack line”, unlike the indoor court, which has such a line 3 meters from the net.
● Team size – two rather than six, with no substitutions allowed.
● Scoring system – best of 3 sets played to 21 (15 for a deciding set) rather than best of 5 to 25.
● Overhand touches and tips – open-hand dinks are illegal.
● A block at the net counts as one of the three allowed touches in the beach game, but not in the indoor game.
● Open-hand setting standards are different in the beach game –double hitting is called tighter but lifts are slightly more lenient.
● Coaching during matches is not allowed.
● There are no rotation errors on the beach – players may switch sides at will.
● It is legal to cross under the net in beach volleyball as long as it does not interfere with opponents’ play.
● Teams switch ends of the court every seven points, rather than between sets.
● There is no Libero in beach like there is in indoor.
The only similarity in the courts used in the two forms of volleyball is the net. In both versions, the height of the net is 2.43 meters for men and 2.24 meters for women.
BVB/21 General Questionnaire [2013-07]
BVB/22 Host TV Broadcaster Letter of Intent [2013-07]
BVB/23 Local Authorities Letter of Support [2013-07]
BVB/04b FIVB Recognised International BVB Events [2013-05]
Continental Tour Homologation [2014-03]
Zonal Tour/ Events Homologation [2014-03]
National Tour Homologation [2014-03]
Athletes, Coaches and Physiotherapists Forms
BVB/01 2013-2014 NF Athlete’s Commitment [2013-01]
BVB/02 Wild Card Request [2014-03]
BVB/03 Withdrawal Request [2014-03]
BVB/10 Annual Health Certificate [2013-01]
BVB/31 Athletes’ Travel Schedule [2014-03]
BVB/31b Delegation’s Travel Schedule [2014-03]
International Player’s Participation Agreement [2014-03]
Technical Competition Forms
BVB/05 Organizational Chart [2014-03]
BVB/06 Event’s regulations for Open [2014-04]
BVB/06 Event’s regulations for World Tour Grand Slam [2014-04]
BVB/08 Sanctions for Players [2014-03]
BVB/12 Yearly Inspection Visit Report [2013-05]
BVB/13 Technical Supervisor Report [2013-05]
BVB/18 Training Sessions Sign-Up Sheet [2013-04]
BVB/19 Technical Checklist [2013-05]
BVB/28 Prize Money Payment Receipt [2013-04]
BVB/29 Stadium and Facilities Homologation Checklist [2014-05]
BVB/30 Court Equipment Checklist [2013-07]
BVB/32 List of Awarders [2013-04]
BVB/06b FIVB International Event’s Regulations [2013-07]
ABV/01 Application to Host an AVC Beach Volleyball Event [2009-09]
ABV/02 General Questionnaire [2009-09]
AVB/03 Local Authorities (Letter of Support) [2009-09]
AVB/04 Single Event Entry Form [2009-09]
AVB/04 Player’s Agreement [2009-09]
AVB/05 Player’s Registration [2009-09]
AVB/06 Agreement to the Participation [2009-09]
AVB/07 Health Certificate [2009-09]
Continental Beach Volleyball Cup:
BVBCP/01 Application Form for NFs [2010-04]
BVBWC/03 Final Event Report [2010-04]
FIVB Beach Volleyball World Cup – AVC Continental Sub Zonal Phase:
BVBCP/01 Hosting Terms & Conditions [2010-04]
BVB/14 Programming Intentions [2014-03]
BVB/15 TV Camera position layout [2014-03]
BVB/16 Broadcast Report [2014-03]
BVB/07 Photographer’s Agreement [2014-04]
BVB/20 Media Report [2014-04]
BVB/37 Media Facilities Checklist [2014-04]
BVB/50 Media Operations Delegate Report [2014-04]
BVB/11 Scoresheet [2014-03]
BVB/11 Scoresheet for data electronic input [2014-03]
BVB/24 Referee Delegate Report [2014-03]
BVB/25 Referee Delegate Report [2014-03]
BVB/26 Daily Referee Performance Summary Sheet [2014-03]
BVB/27 Personal data for Officials [2013-03]
BVB/33 Referee Delegate’s Protest Protocol Report [2014-03]
BVB/38 Referee Evaluation Formula [2014-03]
BVB/41 Referee Performance Supplemental Report [2014-03]
BVB/42 Alcohol Test Control Sheet [2014-03]
BVB/43 Referee Evaluation Form [2014-03]
BVB/44 Heat Stress Daily Monitoring Form [2014-03]
BVB/45 Heat Stress Monitoring Results [2014-03]
BVB/46 Mikasa Evaluation Sheet for VLS300 [2014-03]
BVB/47 Mikasa VLS300 Checklist_1st Inspection [2014-03]
BVB/48 Casebook Case Collection [2014-03]
BVB/49 Medical Injury TO & Injury Forfeit [2014-03]
BVB/52 Court Inspection Checklist [2014-03]
BVB/53 RM Scoresheet delivery protocol [2014-03]
2014 HANDBOOK (Age Group WCHS)
GUIDE – FIVB BVIS for Beach Volleyball-Upload & Update players documents [2014-05]
Jinling Instruction Manual for FIVB beach volleyball events [2014-04]
AVC-O-2 BIS [2016-10]