Lausanne, Switzerland, December 13, 2019 – The 2019 FIVB Volleyball Club World Championships closed the FIVB season last weekend, but 2020 is just around the corner and the new year begins with a bang, as the last remaining tickets to the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games come up for grabs, starting from January 4.
Thirty-one teams seek the five remaining tickets to the Tokyo 2020 women’s volleyball Olympic tournament, all vying at continental level.
Women’s Continental Olympic Qualification Tournaments:
● Africa (January 4-9 in Yaounde, Cameroon): Algeria, Botswana, Cameroon, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Egypt, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria.
● Europe (January 7-12 in Apeldoorn, Netherlands): Azerbaijan, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Germany, Netherlands, Poland, Turkey.
● Asia (January 7-12 in Nakhon Ratchasima, Thailand): Australia, Indonesia, Iran, Chinese Taipei, Kazakhstan, Korea, Thailand.
● South America (January 7-9 in Bogota, Colombia): Argentina, Colombia, Peru, Venezuela.
● NORCECA (January 10-12 in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic): Canada, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Puerto Rico.
One team from each of these tournaments will advance to Tokyo 2020, joining Serbia, China, USA, Brazil, Russia and Italy who had already qualified last August through an intercontinental process. Japan had already secured their spot by default as hosts of the competition.
The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games is a special landmark for volleyball. It was in this Japanese city, when it last hosted the Games in 1964, that volleyball joined the Olympic Programme, with a triumphant Japan grabbing the first ever women’s gold, followed on the podium by USSR and Poland.
The list of entrants in the January tournaments include five women’s teams who in the past have featured on the podium of Olympic Games: Germany (silver in Moscow 1980 as East Germany), Peru (silver in Seoul 1988), Poland (twice bronze in Tokyo 1964 and Mexico City 1968), Bulgaria (bronze in Moscow 1980) and Korea (bronze in Montreal 1976).
Related links of AVC
AVC Website: click www.asianvolleyball.net
AVC Facebook: click www.Facebook.com/AsianVolleyballConfederation
AVC Twitter: click: https://twitter.com/avcvolley
AVC Instagram: click: https://www.instagram.com/avcvolley/?hl=en
AVC Youtube: click: Asian Volleyball Confederation
AVC WeChat: Asian Volleyball Confederation